Placenta - Histology
|Embryology - 11 Feb 2016 Translate|
Arabic | Chinese (simplified) | French | German | Hebrew | Hindi | Indonesian | Italian | Japanese | Korean | Portuguese | Romanian | Russian | Spanish | Yiddish
This page introduces the histology of the placenta, the placental cord and fetal membranes.
Various developmental stages of the placental villi are shown including maternal decidua.
There are images of placental cord and the placental vessels (vein and arteries).
- Placenta Links: Introduction | Lecture - Placenta | Practical - Placenta | Implantation | Villi Development | Trophoblast | Maternal Decidua | Endocrine | Cord | Membranes | Abnormalities | Stage 13 | Stage 22 | Histology | Vascular Beds | Blood Vessel Development | Stem Cells | Category:Placenta
- Histology Links: Stains | Fixatives | Menstrual Cycle | Placenta | Heart | Liver | Pancreas | Gall Bladder | Colon | Renal | Respiratory Histology | Bone | Category:Histology
- Histology Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ANAT2241 Support | Histology | Histology Stains | Embryology Glossary
Hofbauer (1903) identified a sub-population of cells in the placenta that could be identified by specific histological stains, the finding he published 2 years later in 1905.
- human villous macrophages
- highly vacuolated cells
- located the core of placental villi and cord
- macrophages with micropinocytotic activity and phagocytosis ability
- possible paracrine role for early stages of placental vasculogenesis
- Villi Histology: First trimester (overview | villi | detail) | fetal and maternal RBCs | Term (overview | villi | detail) | Cord Histology | Placenta Histology | Placenta Development
- Placental Cord Histology: Cord overview | Vein | Artery | Artery | Allantois | Epithelium | Cord overview 1 unlabeled | overview 2 unlabeled | unlabeled vein and connective tissue | unlabeled connective tissue | Villi histology | Placenta Histology
Placental villi with fetal and maternal red blood cell (RBC) detail.
Other Species Placenta
- Teresa Lorenzi, Angelo Turi, Maria Lorenzi, Francesca Paolinelli, Francesca Mancioli, Lucia La Sala, Manrico Morroni, Pasquapina Ciarmela, Angelo Mantovani, Andrea Luigi Tranquilli, Mario Castellucci, Daniela Marzioni Placental expression of CD100, CD72 and CD45 is dysregulated in human miscarriage. PLoS ONE: 2012, 7(5);e35232 PubMed 22606231 | PLoS One.
- Hofbauer J. About the constant occurrence hitherto unknown cellular form elements in the chorionic villus of the human placenta. (Uber das konstante Vorkommen hisher unbekannter zelliger Formelemente in der Chorionzotte der menschlichen Placenta.) Wien. klin. Wehnsohr., vol. 16. , 1905. Giundziige einer Biologie der menschlichen Plazenta. Leipzig.
Search Pubmed: Placenta Histology
- A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2016) Embryology Placenta - Histology. Retrieved February 11, 2016, from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Placenta_-_Histology
- © Dr Mark Hill 2016, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G