Gastrointestinal Tract - Pancreas Histology
This section of notes provides an overview mainly of adult pancreas histology, see also Pancreas Development notes.Virtual Slides. This page content is not part of the HMB practical class.
- exocrine pancreas consists of tubuloacinar glands.
- single layer of pyramidal shaped cells forms the secretory acini (cells contain zymogen granules).
- Secretory duct pathway:
- Intercalated Duct
- Intralobular Duct (low columnar or cuboidal epithelium, non-striated)
- Interlobular Duct (columnar epithelium + goblet cells)
- Main Pancreatic Duct
- GIT Links: Introduction | Medicine Lecture | Science Lecture | Endoderm | Stomach | Liver | Gall Bladder | Pancreas | Intestine | Tongue | Taste | Enteric Nervous System | Stage 13 | Stage 22 | Abnormalities | Movies | Postnatal | Milk | Tooth | Tongue | BGD Lecture | BGD Practical | Category:Gastrointestinal Tract
- Pancreas Histology Links: overview (label) | exocrine (label) | endocrine (label) | blood vessels (label) | insulin (label) | overview | exocrine | endocrine | blood vessels | insulin | Islet labeled for insulin and Glucagon | Insulin (Fl) | Glucagon (Fl) | GIT Histology
Unlabeled Large Images
The pancreatic islets (Islets of Langerhans) contain four distinct endocrine cell types.
Cytoarchitecture of Islets from adult human Pancreas
See also a recent paper on the organisation of these cells in human islets of Langerhans. Image - Three-dimensional analysis of human pancreatic islets
| Section of an adult human pancreas stained for glucagon (green) and insulin (red).
Scale bars: 25 µm.
| Alpha Cells
|| Beta Cells
| Delta Cells
- Raphaël Scharfmann, Xiangwei Xiao, Harry Heimberg, Jacques Mallet, Philippe Ravassard Beta cells within single human islets originate from multiple progenitors. PLoS ONE: 2008, 3(10);e3559 PubMed 18958289 | PLoS ONE
- Domenico Bosco, Mathieu Armanet, Philippe Morel, Nadja Niclauss, Antonino Sgroi, Yannick D Muller, Laurianne Giovannoni, Géraldine Parnaud, Thierry Berney Unique arrangement of alpha- and beta-cells in human islets of Langerhans. Diabetes: 2010, 59(5);1202-10 PubMed 20185817 | PMC2857900 | Diabetes.
External Links Notice - The dynamic nature of the internet may mean that some of these listed links may no longer function. If the link no longer works search the web with the link text or name.
- Blue Histology Pancreas
- UNSW Virtual Slides Medicine phase 1 Health Maintenance B Pancreas Practical (requires login for access).
- UIOWA Virtual Slidebox of Histology Pancreas
- Who named it? Paul Langerhans (1847 - 1888)
- A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2015) Embryology Gastrointestinal Tract - Pancreas Histology. Retrieved October 13, 2015, from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Gastrointestinal_Tract_-_Pancreas_Histology
- © Dr Mark Hill 2015, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G