Developmental Signals - Nerve Growth Factor
|Embryology - 14 Apr 2021 Expand to Translate|
|Google Translate - select your language from the list shown below (this will open a new external page)|
العربية | català | 中文 | 中國傳統的 | français | Deutsche | עִברִית | हिंदी | bahasa Indonesia | italiano | 日本語 | 한국어 | မြန်မာ | Pilipino | Polskie | português | ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਦੇ | Română | русский | Español | Swahili | Svensk | ไทย | Türkçe | اردو | ייִדיש | Tiếng Việt These external translations are automated and may not be accurate. (More? About Translations)
For which Rita Levi-Montalcini and Stanley Cohen received the 1986 Nobel Prize in Medicine.
The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1986 - Stanley Cohen, Rita Levi-Montalcini "for their discoveries of growth factors"
Draft page - Notice removed when completed.
Historical: Cohen S. Levi-Montalcini R. and Hamburger V. A nerve growth-stimulating factor isolated from sarcomas 37 and 180. (1954) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 40(10):1014-8. PMID: 16589582
Note - NGF is also used as an acronym in ovary development for a Non-Growing Follicle.
|Factor Links: AMH | hCG | BMP | sonic hedgehog | bHLH | HOX | FGF | FOX | Hippo | LIM | Nanog | NGF | Nodal | Notch | PAX | retinoic acid | SIX | Slit2/Robo1 | SOX | TBX | TGF-beta | VEGF | WNT | Category:Molecular|
Some Recent Findings
|More recent papers|
This table allows an automated computer search of the external PubMed database using the listed "Search term" text link.
Search term: Nerve Growth Factor
|These papers originally appeared in the Some Recent Findings table, but as that list grew in length have now been shuffled down to this collapsible table.|
- Links: Neural System Development
Tyrosine Kinase Receptor A
NTKR1 gene encodes the neurotrophic tyrosine kinase-1 receptor and belongs to a family of nerve growth factor receptors.
- OMIM Links: TRKA
Nerve Growth Factor Receptor
Receptor binds at low affinity NGF and other neurotrophins: brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), neurotrophin-3 (NTF3), and neurotrophin-4 (NTF4).
Other Neural Growth Factors
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF)
- Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF)
- Neurotrophic 3 (NT3)
A degenerative disease of the eye characterized by decreased corneal sensitivity and poor corneal healing. This is not directly related to NGF, other than the recent application of NGF in clinical trials for treatment of this disorder.
About OMIM "Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man OMIM is a comprehensive, authoritative, and timely compendium of human genes and genetic phenotypes. The full-text, referenced overviews in OMIM contain information on all known mendelian disorders and over 12,000 genes. OMIM focuses on the relationship between phenotype and genotype. It is updated daily, and the entries contain copious links to other genetics resources." OMIM
- LEVI-MONTALCINI R & HAMBURGER V. (1951). Selective growth stimulating effects of mouse sarcoma on the sensory and sympathetic nervous system of the chick embryo. J. Exp. Zool. , 116, 321-61. PMID: 14824426
- Cohen S. Levi-Montalcini R. and Hamburger V. A nerve growth-stimulating factor isolated from sarcomas 37 and 180. (1954) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 40(10):1014-8. PMID: 16589582
- Levi-Montalcini R. (1987). The nerve growth factor: thirty-five years later. EMBO J. , 6, 1145-54. PMID: 3301324
- Melino G, Benedetti B & Bazan N. (2013). On Rita Levi-Montalcini. Mol. Neurobiol. , 47, 443-5. PMID: 23389287 DOI.
- Nittoli V, Sepe RM, Coppola U, D'Agostino Y, De Felice E, Palladino A, Vassalli QA, Locascio A, Ristoratore F, Spagnuolo A, D'Aniello S & Sordino P. (2018). A comprehensive analysis of neurotrophins and neurotrophin tyrosine kinase receptors expression during development of zebrafish. J. Comp. Neurol. , 526, 1057-1072. PMID: 29322524 DOI.
- Sunagar K, Fry BG, Jackson TN, Casewell NR, Undheim EA, Vidal N, Ali SA, King GF, Vasudevan K, Vasconcelos V & Antunes A. (2013). Molecular evolution of vertebrate neurotrophins: co-option of the highly conserved nerve growth factor gene into the advanced snake venom arsenalf. PLoS ONE , 8, e81827. PMID: 24312363 DOI.
- Aloe L, Rocco ML, Bianchi P & Manni L. (2012). Nerve growth factor: from the early discoveries to the potential clinical use. J Transl Med , 10, 239. PMID: 23190582 DOI.
- Bonini S, Lambiase A, Rama P, Sinigaglia F, Allegretti M, Chao W & Mantelli F. (2018). Phase 2 Randomized, Double-Masked, Vehicle-Controlled Trial of Recombinant Human Nerve Growth Factor for Neurotrophic Keratitis. Ophthalmology , , . PMID: 29653858 DOI.
Barald KF, Shen YC & Bianchi LM. (2018). Chemokines and cytokines on the neuroimmunoaxis: Inner ear neurotrophic cytokines in development and disease. Prospects for repair?. Exp. Neurol. , 301, 92-99. PMID: 29080793 DOI.
Heumann R. (1987). Regulation of the synthesis of nerve growth factor. J. Exp. Biol. , 132, 133-50. PMID: 3323396
Misko TP, Radeke MJ & Shooter EM. (1987). Nerve growth factor in neuronal development and maintenance. J. Exp. Biol. , 132, 177-90. PMID: 2828509
Levi-Montalcini R. (1987). The nerve growth factor: thirty-five years later. EMBO J. , 6, 1145-54. PMID: 3301324
Ceci FM, Ferraguti G, Petrella C, Greco A, Tirassa P, Iannitelli A, Ralli M, Vitali M, Ceccanti M, Chaldakov GN, Versacci P & Marco F. (2020). Nerve Growth Factor, Stress and Diseases. Curr. Med. Chem. , , . PMID: 32811396 DOI.
Kuypers E, Collins JJ, Jellema RK, Wolfs TG, Kemp MW, Nitsos I, Pillow JJ, Polglase GR, Newnham JP, Germeraad WT, Kallapur SG, Jobe AH & Kramer BW. (2012). Ovine fetal thymus response to lipopolysaccharide-induced chorioamnionitis and antenatal corticosteroids. PLoS ONE , 7, e38257. PMID: 22693607 DOI.
- Molecular Biology of the Cell. 4th edition. Alberts B, Johnson A, Lewis J, et al.New York: Garland Science; 2002.
- Molecular Cell Biology. 4th edition. Lodish H, Berk A, Zipursky SL, et al.New York: W. H. Freeman; 2000.
- Madame Curie Bioscience Database [Internet]. Austin (TX): Landes Bioscience; 2000.
External Links Notice - The dynamic nature of the internet may mean that some of these listed links may no longer function. If the link no longer works search the web with the link text or name. Links to any external commercial sites are provided for information purposes only and should never be considered an endorsement. UNSW Embryology is provided as an educational resource with no clinical information or commercial affiliation.
- OMIM - NGF
- Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols | Term Link
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2021, April 14) Embryology Developmental Signals - Nerve Growth Factor. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Developmental_Signals_-_Nerve_Growth_Factor
- © Dr Mark Hill 2021, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G