- The average gestation age for elephants is 660 days.
- An infant elephant is called a calf and a newborn can weigh 90 to 120 kilograms (198 to 264 pounds).
- The calf suckles milk from its mother taking up to 12 litres each day.
- Adult male elephant is called a bull and can weigh up to 6,800 kilograms (15,000 pounds).
- Adult female elephant is called a cow and can weigh up to 3,600 kilograms (8,000 pounds).
|Animal Development: axolotl | bat | cat | chicken | cow | dog | dolphin | echidna | fly | frog | goat | grasshopper | guinea pig | hamster | horse | kangaroo | koala | lizard | medaka | mouse | opossum | pig | platypus | rabbit | rat | sea squirt | sea urchin | sheep | worm | zebrafish | life cycles | development timetable | development models | K12|
Some Recent Findings
|More recent papers|
This table allows an automated computer search of the external PubMed database using the listed "Search term" text link.
Search term: Elephant Development
<pubmed limit=5>Elephant Development</pubmed>
- African forest elephant - Loxodonta cyclotis
- African savanna elephant - Loxodonta africana
- Asiatic elephant - Elephas maximus
cellular organisms; Eukaryota; Opisthokonta; Metazoa; Eumetazoa; Bilateria; Deuterostomia; Chordata; Craniata; Vertebrata; Gnathostomata; Teleostomi; Euteleostomi; Sarcopterygii; Dipnotetrapodomorpha; Tetrapoda; Amniota; Mammalia; Theria; Eutheria; Afrotheria; Proboscidea; Elephantidae; Loxodonta
|Days below are post-ovulatory.
Elephant fetal stages
Ovary and Uterus
Fetal and postnatal elephant ovary and uterus
<pubmed></pubmed> <pubmed></pubmed> <pubmed></pubmed> <pubmed>22991581</pubmed> <pubmed>16264100</pubmed>
Search PubMed: Elephant Development |
External Links Notice - The dynamic nature of the internet may mean that some of these listed links may no longer function. If the link no longer works search the web with the link text or name. Links to any external commercial sites are provided for information purposes only and should never be considered an endorsement. UNSW Embryology is provided as an educational resource with no clinical information or commercial affiliation.
- Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols | Term Link
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2021, June 18) Embryology Elephant Development. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Elephant_Development
- © Dr Mark Hill 2021, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G