BGDA Practical - Male Reproductive Tract Histology
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Objectives
- 3 Testis Histology
- 4 Spermatozoa
- 5 Epididymis Histology
- 6 Human Testis (adult)
- 7 Human Testis (young)
- 8 Other Species
- 9 Ductus Deferens Histology
- 10 Prostate Histology
- 11 Penis Histology
- 12 Terms
- 13 Glossary Links
- Gain an overview of the microanatomy of the male reproductive system.
- Undertake a microscopical examination of the testis, epididymis, vas deferens, seminal vesicle, prostate gland, penis, and sperm. The functional significance of the various histological structures identified will be discussed.
| This brief animation shows an overview of the structural components of the spermatozoa.
Human Testis (adult)
Human Testis (young)
Ductus Deferens Histology
|Human prostate histology||Corpora Amylacea||Submucosal gland|
|(adult, low power overview)||(adult, detail)||(adult, high power detail)|
- cortex - (Latin = rind, or bark) outer layer of an organ.
- hilum - or hilus (Latin,= a trifle; depression in a seed) a depression at vascular entrance/exit of a gland or organ.
- medulla - (Latin, medulla = pith, marrow) the inner portion of an organ, in contrast to cortex.
- mucosa - (Latin, = mucous membrane) thin layer which lines body cavities and passages formed by epithelium and lamina propria.
- parenchyma - (Greek," + enkeim = to pour in) the essential functional cells of an organ as opposed to its stroma.
- serosa - (Latin, serum = whey; a pale fluid) a serous membrane lining body cavities.
- stroma - (Greek, = a cover, table-cloth, bedding) term for the internal supporting frame-work of a tissue, or organ, as opposed to its parenchyma.
- tunica albuginea - a dense, white, fibrous sheath enclosing a part or organ.
- Histology Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ANAT2241 Support | Histology | Histology Stains | Embryology Glossary
BGDA: Lecture 1 | Lecture 2 | Practical 3 | Practical 6 | Practical 12 | Lecture Neural | Practical 14 | Histology Support - Female | Male | Tutorial
- A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2018, March 20) Embryology BGDA Practical - Male Reproductive Tract Histology. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/BGDA_Practical_-_Male_Reproductive_Tract_Histology
- © Dr Mark Hill 2018, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G