ANAT2241 Gastro-Intestinal System
|ANAT2241 This practical support page content is not part of the virtual science practical class and provides additional information for student self-directed learning purposes. 2019 - Moodle ANAT2241 | Virtual slides|
- To know the histological features and functions of the oral cavity and its associated structures.
- To know the general organization of the alimentary tract and the histological features of its various anatomical subdivisions: oesophagus, stomach, duodenum, small intestine, large intestine, appendix and rectum.
- To know the microanatomy of the tongue, including epithelial types, muscles, glands, papillae and taste buds.
- To know the histological features of the submandibular and parotid glands.
- To know the general architecture of the wall of the alimentary tract and the functions of the mucosa, submucosa, muscle layer and serosal or adventitial layer in the various anatomical divisions of the canal.
- To know the structure of the oesophagus, cardio-oesophageal junction and stomach wall.
- To identify the cells of gastric epithelium and distinguish the histological features of the cardiac, body and pyloric regions of stomach. To appreciate the role of mucous on the surface of gastric epithelium.
- To know the histological features of the duodenum and ileum, including villi, intestinal mucosal glands (crypts of Lieberkuhn), lymphatic tissue and intramural nerve plexuses.
- To know the structure of the large intestine, appendix and rectum.
Mouth, oesophagus & stomach
Note: The lip and soft palate have already been studied and will not be repeated here. You are reminded however, that they are part of the oral structure.
- Stomach Histology Links: stomach labeled overview | parietal cells - chief cells | mucus neck - parietal cells - chief cells | stomach overview | stomach mucosa | mucosa - secretory epithelial sheath - goblet cell | gastric glands - parietal cells - chief cells | stomach overview | Stomach Histology | Stomach Development | Gastrointestinal Tract Development
- Intestine Histology Links: Duodenum overview | Duodenum villi and crypts | Duodenum | Jejunum overview | Jejunum villus | Jejunum labeled | Jejunum unlabeled | Gastrointestinal Tract Histology | Intestine Development
- Colon Histology Links: Ano-Rectal Junction Overview Labeled | Colon Wall Labeled | Colon Mucosa Labeled | Colon Overview | Ano-Rectal Junction Overview | Intestinal Gland - longitudinal van Gieson | Intestinal Gland - transverse van Gieson | Intestinal Gland - longitudinal H&E | Intestinal Gland - transverse H&E | GIT Histology | Gastrointestinal Tract Development
- Histology Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ANAT2241 Support | Histology | Histology Stains | Embryology Glossary
|Common Histology Stains|
- Pages require student zpass to access.
Week 1 Covering and Lining Epithelia | Glandular Epithelia | Week 2 Connective Tissue Components | Connective Tissue Types | Week 3 Bone, Bone Formation and Joints | Muscle Tissue | Week 4 Nervous Tissue | Week 6 Cardiovascular System | Respiratory System | Week 7 Integumentary System (skin) | Lymphatic Tissue and Immune System | Week 8 Gastro-Intestinal System I | Gastro-Intestinal System II | Week 9 Endocrine System | Urinary System | Week 10 Female Reproductive System | Male Reproductive System
- Pages can be accessed from any internet connected computer.
ANAT2241 Support Links: The Virtual Microscope | Covering and Lining Epithelia | Glandular Epithelia | CT Components | CT Types | Bone, Bone Formation and Joints | Blood | Muscle | Nervous | Cardiovascular | Respiratory | Integumentary | GIT Organs | GIT 1 | GIT 2 | Lymphatic and Immune | Endocrine | Urinary | Female Reproductive | Male Reproductive | Eye | Histology Stains | Histology Drawings | Practicals Health and Safety 2013 | Moodle - 2018
ANAT2241 This practical support page content is not part of the science practical class and provides only background information for student self-directed learning purposes.
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2019, March 22) Embryology ANAT2241 Gastro-Intestinal System. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/ANAT2241_Gastro-Intestinal_System
- © Dr Mark Hill 2019, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G