This category links to information about genetic abnormalities, their relationship to age, ethnicity and prenatal testing. In order to detect some genetic abnormalities many countries offer genetic screening programs both prenatal and neonatal. Some ethnic backgrounds have also been shown to have disease-associated genetic variants, though most common genetic diseases are consistent across ethnic boundaries. For example: Caucasians of northern European ancestry and cystic fibrosis (CTFR gene), Mediterranean, Asian and Far Eastern ancestry with beta-thalassaemia. Development of in vitro fertilization techniques now allows cells from early stage blastocysts to be removed and genetically analysed prior to implantation, raising some ethical issues relating to what parameters will be in future used in blastocyst selection.
This category has the following 7 subcategories, out of 7 total.
Pages in category ‘Genetic Abnormalities’
The following 45 pages are in this category, out of 45 total.
Media in category ‘Genetic Abnormalities’
The following 55 files are in this category, out of 55 total.
- 220px-Patauhand.PNG 69 KB
- Amniocentesis.jpg 31 KB
- Chromosome- deletion.jpg 60 KB
- Chromosome- inversion.jpg 124 KB
- Chromosome- monosomy.jpg 164 KB
- Chromosome- mosaicism.jpg 136 KB
- Chromosome- triploidy.jpg 227 KB
- Chromosome- trisomy.jpg 175 KB
- Cvs.jpg 28 KB
- Mouse - stomach 01.png 1.45 MB
- Trisomy 21 newborn.jpg 16 KB
- Trisomy18male.jpg 10 KB
- Trisomy21 hand.jpg 12 KB
- Trisomy21arrow.gif 5 KB
- Trisomy21female.jpg 12 KB
- Trisomy21male.jpg 10 KB
- Ultrasound12wk 3D.jpg 18 KB