ANAT2241 Integumentary System
|ANAT2241 This practical support page content is not part of the science practical class and provides only background information for student self-directed learning purposes. 2018 Coordinator notice - Virtual slide links shown on these support pages are now transferred to the new Moodle links.|
To know the structure and function of skin and its appendages (derivatives).
- To know the microscopic structure of the epidermis and dermis.
- To know the histological differences between hairy (thin) and glabrous (thick) skin.
- To know the formation and histology of skin appendages: eccrine and apocrine sweat glands, sebaceous glands, hairs, nails and specialised glands as listed below.
- To know the histological features of Pacinian and Meissner corpuscles and free nerve endings.
Examine the following virtual slides, and in course manual identify draw and label the following structures and note their function.
Virtual Slides: Integumentary System (skin)
Skin overview (Stain - Haematoxylin Eosin)
Skin overview (trichrome stain)
Epidermis (thin skin) (Stain - Haematoxylin Eosin)
Epidermis (thick skin)
Epidermis and Dermis (Stain - Haematoxylin Eosin)
Melanin in Basal Cell Layer
Glands and Hair
|Meissner corpuscle a sensory touch cellular structure located in the dermis superficial region.||Pacinian corpuscle a sensory pressure cellular structure located in the dermis deep region.|
- Integument Histology Links: Adult Skin | Epidermis and Dermis | Thin Skin Epidermis | Thick Skin Epidermis | Elastic Fibres | Basal Cell Melanin | Foundations Practical Support | Integumentary System Development | Histology Stains
- Histology Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ANAT2241 Support | Histology | Histology Stains | Embryology Glossary
|Common Histology Stains|
- Pages require student zpass to access.
The Virtual Microscope | Covering and Lining Epithelia | Glandular Epithelia | Connective Tissue Components | Connective Tissue Types | Bone, Bone Formation and Joints | Blood | Muscle Tissue | Nervous Tissue | Cardiovascular System | Respiratory System | Integumentary System (skin) | Gastro-Intestinal System I | Gastro-Intestinal System II | Liver, Gallbladder, and Pancreas | Lymphatic Tissue and Immune System | Endocrine System | Urinary System | Female Reproductive System | Male Reproductive System | Special Sense Organ: The Eye
- Pages can be accessed from any internet connected computer.
ANAT2241 Support Links: The Virtual Microscope | Covering and Lining Epithelia | Glandular Epithelia | CT Components | CT Types | Bone, Bone Formation and Joints | Blood | Muscle | Nervous | Cardiovascular | Respiratory | Integumentary | GIT 1 | GIT 2 | GIT Organs | Lymphatic and Immune | Endocrine | Urinary | Female Reproductive | Male Reproductive | Eye | Histology Stains | Histology Drawings | Practicals Health and Safety 2013
ANAT2241 This practical support page content is not part of the science practical class and provides only background information for student self-directed learning purposes.
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2018, March 21) Embryology ANAT2241 Integumentary System. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/ANAT2241_Integumentary_System
- © Dr Mark Hill 2018, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G