ANAT2511 Introduction to Histology
|ANAT2511 Fundamentals of Anatomy This histology practical support page content is not part of the histology practical class and provides only background information for student self-directed learning purposes. Histology lecturer notice.|
- To learn how to use virtual microscopy for studies in histology and to recognise parts of a cell and common features of cells and tissues.
- To recognise common features and differences between cells (e.g. size, shape, nuclear appearance, secretory components, microvilli and cilia).
Human Anatomy, Marieb et al., 6th ed., pages 23‐46
- Examine the following virtual microscope slides and find examples of cells of different sizes and shapes.
- Virtual Microscopy - Cells and Types of Tissue (6 slides)
- The image links are located in the ANAT2511 folder on the computer desktop.
- Identify examples of the following cellular components: nucleus, nucleolus, densely packed rough endoplasmic reticulum (rough ER), microvilli, and cilia.
The images below show some of the types of cells found in the normal blood.
- Note that the white blood cells all contain a nucleus (stained blue), while the red blood cells have no nucleus only cytoplasm (stained pink).
- The white blood cell nucleus can also have different shapes in different cells.
- Red blood cells also appear as "donuts" as they are thinner in the centre and thicker at the periphery.
- When the cytoplasm is thicker the staining appears darker, when the cytoplasm is thinner the staining appears lighter.
The following image is a scanning electron microscope image of a red blood cell (erythrocyte), a platelet (thrombocyte) and a white blood cell (lymphocyte).
- Electron microscopes have a higher resolution than a light microscope (virtual slides).
- Image shows the relative cell sizes and shapes (morphologies).
- Remember a platelet (thrombocyte) is not a cell, but circulating part or a fragment of a cell.
Low power image of the spinal cord cut in cross-section (XS).
- Histology Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ANAT2241 Support | Histology | Histology Stains | Embryology Glossary
- Pages require student zpass to access.
ANAT2511 | Virtual Microscopy, Cells and Types of Tissue | Selected Basic Tissues | Histology of Bone and Joints | Histology of Muscle | Histology of Nervous Tissue | Integumentary System | Circulatory System Histology | Respiratory System Histology | GIT Histology | Urinary System Histology
- Pages can be accessed from any internet connected computer.
ANAT2511: Practical 1 Introduction to Histology | Practical 3 Basic Tissues | ￼Practical 5 Bones and Joints | ￼Practical 7 Muscle Tissue | ￼Practical 9 Nervous Tissue | ￼Practical 11 Integumentary (Skin) System | ￼Practical 13 Circulatory System | ￼Practical 15 Respiratory System | Practical 17 Gastro‐intestinal Tract, Liver and Gallbladder | ￼Practical 19 Urinary System | Histology Drawings