ANAT2511 Basic Tissues
|ANAT2511 Fundamentals of Anatomy This histology practical support page content is not part of the histology practical class and provides only background information for student self-directed learning purposes. Histology lecturer notice.|
To provide an overview of the four types of tissues: epithelial, connective, muscular and nervous, and to understand their organization in a limb.
- Reading: Human Anatomy, Marieb et al., 6th ed., pages 64‐97
- Virtual Slides: Selected Basic Tissues
There are many different epithelia both outside and inside the body, forming specialized barriers between environments, as well as many additional roles.
The skin has both an epithelial (epidermis) and connective tissue (dermis, hypodermis) structure. Connective tissues are found within organs and tissues throughout the body, as well as specialized connective tissues like bone, cartilage and blood.
|Skeletal muscle cut in 2 directions.||Skeletal muscle contractile units (sarcomeres).|
Nervous tissue can be initially divided into 2 main components:
- Central Nervous System (brain, spinal cord)
- Peripheral Nervous System (ganglia, nerves)
Peripheral nerves can be seen passing through connective tissues in many body organs and tissues, including the limbs.
These peripheral nerves carry signals in both directions:
- Motor - towards the periphery, to skeletal muscle to contract and move the skeleton.
- Sensory - from the periphery, to the central nervous system providing information about skin sensation and joint position.
|Peripheral Nerve showing the nerve fibres and the associated neural connective tissue.
(Stain - Haematoxylin Eosin)
|Typical nerve and blood vessel structure (neurovascular bundle) seen in tissues.
(Stain - Osmium)
- Histology Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ANAT2241 Support | Histology | Histology Stains | Embryology Glossary
- Pages require student zpass to access.
ANAT2511 | Virtual Microscopy, Cells and Types of Tissue | Selected Basic Tissues | Histology of Bone and Joints | Histology of Muscle | Histology of Nervous Tissue | Integumentary System | Circulatory System Histology | Respiratory System Histology | GIT Histology | Urinary System Histology
- Pages can be accessed from any internet connected computer.
ANAT2511: Practical 1 Introduction to Histology | Practical 3 Basic Tissues | ￼Practical 5 Bones and Joints | ￼Practical 7 Muscle Tissue | ￼Practical 9 Nervous Tissue | ￼Practical 11 Integumentary (Skin) System | ￼Practical 13 Circulatory System | ￼Practical 15 Respiratory System | Practical 17 Gastro‐intestinal Tract, Liver and Gallbladder | ￼Practical 19 Urinary System | Histology Drawings