2009 Lab 3
This laboratory will look at the third to fourth week of human development (stage 7 onward). We will be using a range of online materials and resources to explore these topics. The laboratory will also allow time for work on the group online project.
The best way of beginning to understand the sequence is by considering the "stages" of development in relation to age (in days or weeks). Stages are based on the external and/or internal morphological development of the vertebrate embryo, and are not directly dependent on either age or size. Historically, the human embryonic period proper is divided into 23 Carnegie stages and criteria beyond morphological features include age in days, number of somites present, and embryonic length have sometimes been included in the stage descriptions. These stages are also shown in the movie "Carnegie stage human growth through embryonic period"
- Understand the conceptus changes during week 3 following implantation.
- Understand the process of gastrulation and the trilaminar embryo
- Understand the formation of the axial process
- Identify the early stages of embryonic development
UNSW Embryology Links
- Embryo Stages
- Week 2 Notes
- Week 3 Notes | Gastrulation | Trilaminar Embryo
- System Notes
- Development Timeline
- Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols | Term Link
Course Content 2009
Embryology Introduction | Cell Division/Fertilization | Cell Division/Fertilization | Week 1&2 Development | Week 3 Development | Lab 2 | Mesoderm Development | Ectoderm, Early Neural, Neural Crest | Lab 3 | Early Vascular Development | Placenta | Lab 4 | Endoderm, Early Gastrointestinal | Respiratory Development | Lab 5 | Head Development | Neural Crest Development | Lab 6 | Musculoskeletal Development | Limb Development | Lab 7 | Kidney | Genital | Lab 8 | Sensory - Ear | Integumentary | Lab 9 | Sensory - Eye | Endocrine | Lab 10 | Late Vascular Development | Fetal | Lab 11 | Birth, Postnatal | Revision | Lab 12 | Lecture Audio | Course Timetable
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2020, January 22) Embryology 2009 Lab 3. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/2009_Lab_3
- © Dr Mark Hill 2020, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G