File:Brain fissure development 02.jpg
Brain Fissure Development
Three-dimensional reconstruction of the lateral (top row) and medial (bottom row) surface of 13–21 week brains to reveal the development of the Sylvian fissure (green arrow), the calcarine fissure (blue arrow), and the parieto-occipital sulcus (red arrow), respectively.
- the terms fissure and sulcus refer to the same feature.
- Sylvian fissure (sulcus) is also called the lateral fissure (sulcus).
Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) A newly developed form of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Magnetic field variations of the MRI magnet are applied in at least six different directions generating a three dimensional shape of the diffusion pattern. This technique can be used in neural imaging of white matter due to the orientation of axon bundles and the associated water flow. (More? Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- Neural DTI Links: Scaled Fissures 13-21 weeks | Fissures 13-21 weeks | Brain Sylvian Fissure | Scaled Brain and Ventricles 13-21 weeks | Scaled Brain, Ventricles and Ganglia 13-21 weeks | Limbic Tract 13-19 weeks | Brain and Ventricles 13-21 weeks | Sylvian Fissure Movie | Neural System Development | Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Huang H, Xue R, Zhang J, Ren T, Richards LJ, Yarowsky P, Miller MI & Mori S. (2009). Anatomical characterization of human fetal brain development with diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging. J. Neurosci. , 29, 4263-73. PMID: 19339620 DOI.
Copyright of all material published in The Journal of Neuroscience remains with the authors. The authors grant the Society for Neuroscience an exclusive license to publish their work for the first 6 months. After 6 months the work becomes available to the public to copy, distribute, or display under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
Original File Name: Figure 5 Original image modified by scaling relative to 21 weeks and labeled.
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2019, July 19) Embryology Brain fissure development 02.jpg. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/File:Brain_fissure_development_02.jpg
- © Dr Mark Hill 2019, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||14:17, 27 August 2010||1,000 × 583 (52 KB)||S8600021||==Brain Fissure Development== Three-dimensional reconstruction of the lateral (top row) and medial (bottom row) surface of 13–21 week brains to reveal the development of the Sylvian fissure (green arrow), the calcarine fissure (blue arrow), and the par|
- You cannot overwrite this file.