Cardiovascular System - Coarctation of the Aorta
|Embryology - 24 Jan 2019 Expand to Translate|
|Google Translate - select your language from the list shown below (this will open a new external page)|
العربية | català | 中文 | 中國傳統的 | français | Deutsche | עִברִית | हिंदी | bahasa Indonesia | italiano | 日本語 | 한국어 | မြန်မာ | Pilipino | Polskie | português | ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਦੇ | Română | русский | Español | Swahili | Svensk | ไทย | Türkçe | اردو | ייִדיש | Tiếng Việt These external translations are automated and may not be accurate. (More? About Translations)
|ICD-11 Structural developmental anomalies of the circulatory system (draft)|
| ICD-11 Beta Draft - NOT FINAL, updated on a daily basis, It is not approved by WHO, NOT TO BE USED for CODING except for agreed FIELD TRIALS.
20 Developmental Anomalies - Structural Developmental Anomalies
Beta coding and tree structure for "structural developmental anomalies" within this section are shown in the table below.
|Structural developmental anomalies of the circulatory system|
|CD-11 Beta Draft - NOT FINAL, updated on a daily basis, It is not approved by WHO, NOT TO BE USED for CODING except for agreed FIELD TRIALS.|
- 5-8% of Congenital Heart Disease
- Aortic constriction.
- Treatment aims at maintaining the ductus arteriosus via prostaglandins and by surgical intervention.
- Recent review suggests it may:
- affect the aortic arch in a highly variable manner
- be associated with a host of other left sided heart lesions
- represent a wider vasculopathy within the pre-coarctation arterial tree
Some Recent Findings
|Male preponderance||Female preponderance|
|Table data Links: abnormal development | cardiovascular abnormalities | USA | Male | Female | cleft lip and palate|
- Kenny D & Hijazi ZM. (2011). Coarctation of the aorta: from fetal life to adulthood. Cardiol J , 18, 487-95. PMID: 21947983
- Michalski AM, Richardson SD, Browne ML, Carmichael SL, Canfield MA, VanZutphen AR, Anderka MT, Marshall EG & Druschel CM. (2015). Sex ratios among infants with birth defects, National Birth Defects Prevention Study, 1997-2009. Am. J. Med. Genet. A , 167A, 1071-81. PMID: 25711982 DOI.
Search Pubmed: Coarctation of the Aorta
Search OMIM: Coarctation of the Aorta
External Links Notice - The dynamic nature of the internet may mean that some of these listed links may no longer function. If the link no longer works search the web with the link text or name. Links to any external commercial sites are provided for information purposes only and should never be considered an endorsement. UNSW Embryology is provided as an educational resource with no clinical information or commercial affiliation.
- Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols | Term Link
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2019, January 24) Embryology Cardiovascular System - Coarctation of the Aorta. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Cardiovascular_System_-_Coarctation_of_the_Aorta
- © Dr Mark Hill 2019, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G