This page shows the timeline of human implantation and gives examples of other species. Note that while the commencement of implantation is relatively well defined, the individual events and even the definition of when implantation completes are quite variable.
During this period the uterine endometrium undergoes many changes and the implanting blastocyst has extensive trophoblast changes but little embryoblast development.
|Implantation Links: implantation | Week 2 | trophoblast | placenta | Lecture - Week 1 and 2 | Implantation Timeline | ectopic pregnancy | hydatidiform mole | placenta abnormalities | Category:Implantation|
Some Recent Findings
Human Development Overview to Implantation
Blastocyst implantation in the baboon usually occurs between 8 and 10 days post ovulation (see text below).
Three distinct phases:
- regulated by estrogen and progesterone, changes in both the luminal and glandular epithelial cells in preparation for blastocyst apposition and attachment.
- further modulation of these steroid induced changes in both epithelial and stromal cells by embryonic signals.
- trophoblast invasion and the remodeling of the endometrial stromal compartment.
Search Pubmed: 
dark blue bgcolor="DDCEF2" light blue bgcolor="F5FAFF"
External Links Notice - The dynamic nature of the internet may mean that some of these listed links may no longer function. If the link no longer works search the web with the link text or name. Links to any external commercial sites are provided for information purposes only and should never be considered an endorsement. UNSW Embryology is provided as an educational resource with no clinical information or commercial affiliation.
- Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols | Term Link ----
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2020, February 18) Embryology Implantation Timeline. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Implantation_Timeline
- © Dr Mark Hill 2020, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G