Use this page to access brief definitions of specific embryology terms. Additional information can be accessed from links listed at the end of each definition.
- Note that this glossary has been ported and modified from the original site.
- Terms linked within the definitions are generally internal to that glossary term.
- Links listed in "More?" are to UNSW Embryology pages, PubMed and OMIM references or other external resources.
- Undergraduate course pages for Medicine and Science lectures and practicals may include, at the bottom of each page, a sub-heading "Terms". This lists terms related to the teaching materials on that specific page.
- Notes pages may also have a similar section included.
|Other Terms Lists|
|Terms Lists: ART | Birth | Bone | Cardiovascular | Gastrointestinal | Genetic | Hearing | Heart | Immune | Integumentary | Neural | Oocyte | Palate | Placenta | Renal | Spermatozoa | Ultrasound | Vision | Historic | Glossary|
Historically many names and terminology in medicine and biology were given names based upon Latin or Greek roots. In addition, many discoveries were given names (eponyms) based upon the original discoverer or by the discoverer referring to other key researchers.
About the Glossary
Glossary from the UNSW Embryology program compiled and written by Dr Mark Hill.
Reference Material used in preparing this glossary list includes: texts listed on page 1 Reading of each notes section, Department of Anatomy Publications, WWW resources from NCBI, NIH, OMIM, NHMRC (Australia), AMA (USA), Office of Rare Diseases (USA), PubMed Medline Dictionaries, MSDS and Merck Manual home edn.
These notes are for Educational Purposes Only
Please email Dr Mark Hill if you wish to make a comment about this current project.
Copyright: Dr Mark Hill Created: 01.06.1997
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. 2017 Embryology Glossary. Retrieved February 27, 2017, from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Glossary
- © Dr Mark Hill 2017, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G