File:Meckel's diverticulum 01.jpg
Meckel's Diverticulum, a photograph of a gastrointestinal tract abnormality (in the adult) due to midgut developmental abnormality. The abnormality is shown as the blind-ended tube lower right of image.
This abnormality is a very common (incidence of 1–2% in the general population) and occurs from the improper closure and reabsorption of the yolk stalk (vitelline duct, omphalomesenteric duct). This transient connection lies between the early midgut region and the yolk sac.
Named after Johann Friedrich Meckel (1781 – 1833) (the younger) a German anatomist who identified the abnormality origin in 1820.
- Abnormality Links: Gastrointestinal Tract - Abnormalities | Intestine Development | Gastrointestinal Tract
- Lumen Abnormalities: Image - Duplication sites | Pyloric atresia | Jejunal atresia
- Rotation: Image - Midgut volvulus | Image - Intestinal malrotation | Image - Cecal volvulus | Image - Sigmoid volvulus | Ladd's band
- Meckel's Diverticulum: Meckel's Image 1 | Meckel's Image 2 | Meckel's Image 3 |
- Intestinal Aganglionosis: Image - Ostomy | Image - Stoma | Surgery 1 | Surgery 2 | Surgery 3
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. 2017 Embryology Meckel's diverticulum 01.jpg. Retrieved February 20, 2017, from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/File:Meckel%27s_diverticulum_01.jpg
- © Dr Mark Hill 2017, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
This work is in the public domain in the United States because it is a work of the United States Federal Government under the terms of Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 105 of the US Code.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||01:04, 7 August 2010||341 × 480 (74 KB)||S8600021||==Meckel's Diverticulum== Description: Photograph of a Meckel's Diverticulum Source: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology Author: Unknown Permission: Public Domain Category:Gastrointestinal Tract Category:Abnormal Development|
- You cannot overwrite this file.