2010 BGD Practical - Fetal Development
|Practical 3 - Fertilization to Implantation||Practical 6 - Implantation to 8 Weeks||Practical 12 - Fetal Period|
In the first part of this class we will look at the final embryological stage Week 8 (Carnegie stage 22, 23) and onward into fetal development. In this Practical class a late embryo (stage 22) page has selected cross-sections to observe the development of internal organs and tissues.
- First note the processes occuring in late embryological development (limb and body growth, early ossification).
- Then study the example of early Fetal Development (week 10). Compare the change in overall size from the late embryo stage. Look carefully through the sagittal sections of the embryo identifying the development of organs and tissues in the Fetus.
- Finally look at overall Fetal Development in terms of length, weight and late developing systems. In the last part of the class we will introduce developmental abnormalities both genetic and maternally derived and consider critical periods of development.
This content is currently being updated for 2010.
|<Flowplayer height="300" width="285" autoplay="true">fetal growth.flv</Flowplayer>|
|Animation shows the changing proportions of the fetus, not the growth in size.|
This page shows some key events of human development during the fetal period (weeks 9 to 37) following fertilization. Clinically this period is generally described as the Second Trimester and Third Trimester. Many of the critical measurements of growth are now carried out by ultrasound and this period ends at birth.
- Links: 2008 BGD Practical - Fetal Development | Science Lecture - Fetal Development | Fetal Development | original Fetal Development page
- Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols | Term Link
- 2010 BGD: Lecture 1 | Lecture 2 | Practical 3 | Practical 6 | Practical 12
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2019, September 21) Embryology 2010 BGD Practical - Fetal Development. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/2010_BGD_Practical_-_Fetal_Development
- © Dr Mark Hill 2019, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G