- ameloblast - population of ectoderm-derived oral epithelium cells that produce the tooth enamel.
- cementoblast - follicular cells around tooth root that form cementum covering the tooth root.
- Hertwig's epithelial root sheath - (HERS) cells differentiate into cementoblasts through epithelial mesenchymal transition (EMT) and also induce odontoblastic differentiation of dental papilla through epithelial-mesenchymal interaction (EMI) during the tooth root development.
- odontoblast - (dentinoblasts) are a population of neural crest-derived mesenchymal cells that produce predentin, that calcifies to form dentin (protects the dental pulp).
- periodontal ligament - ligament that holds the tooth in the bone socket of the jaw.
- sonic hedgehog - (SHH, Shh) a secreted growth factor sonic hedgehog that binds the patched (ptc) receptor on cell membrane.