ANAT2341 Lab 1
PRACTICAL CLASS PROGRAM:
• Weekly Quiz (10-15 minutes)
• Revise quiz questions (5 - 10 minutes)
• Practical class activities (85 minutes)
• Revise practical class activities (15 minutes)
PRACTICAL CLASS ACTIVITIES:
In this practical class, we will do a number of activities that will allow you to apply, exercise and rehearse the knowledge that you obtained during the first 3 embryology lectures. Please organize yourselves into small groups of 4-5 students to form 6 groups.
We will do the following activities: 1. Embryology models: pre-implantation (group activity) (5 minutes) 2. Embryology models: post-implantation and gastrulation (group activity) (5 minutes) 3. Playdough embryo modelling of pre-implantation embryogenesis (group activity) (10 minutes) 4. Playdough embryo modelling of gastrulating embryos (group activity) (10 minutes) 5. Histology of gonads and preimplantation embryos (individually/group) (optional 10 minutes) 6. Histology of implantation embryos (individually/group) (optional 10 minutes) 7. Study human specimens of developmental abnormalities and present to class in 5 minutes per group (group activity) (50 minutes: 20 minutes preparation + 6 x 5-minute presentations)
We will have tables set up for activities 1-4. Activities 5-7 can be done individually or group-wise anywhere in the classroom. Annemiek will tell when to move on to the next activity and will be available for help. You can also consult your lecture notes and the internet.
• Understand gametogenesis and fertilization • Understand preimplantation. • Understand implantation • Understand the process of gastrulation and the trilaminar embryo. • Understand the development of the germ layers: ectoderm, mesoderm and endoderm. • Understand abnormalities associated with this period of development.
PRACTICAL CLASS NOTES:
Practical class notes are available on Moodle