Lab 4 Online Assessment
- The allantois, identified in the placental cord, is continuous with what anatomical structure?
- Identify the 3 vascular shunts, and their location, in the embryonic circulation.
- Identify the Group project sub-section that you will be researching. (Add to project page and your individual assessment page)
--z3291622 12:53, 28 July 2011 (EST)
Lab 1 Assessment
--Z3291622 22:45, 2 August 2011 (EST)
1. Identify the origin of In Vitro Fertilization and the 2010 nobel prize winner associated with this technique. The history of IVF can be dated back as early as the 1890’s when the first known case of embryo transplantation in rabbits was reported. In 1959, Chang MC produced undisputable evidence of IVF through his work on rabbits. The breakthrough in IVF was the birth of the first successful ‘test-tube’ baby, Louise Joy Brown, born on the 25th of July 1978 in Oldham, England through the work of Patrick Steptoe and Robert Edwards. The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2010 was awarded to Robert G. Edwards for the development of in vitro fertilization.
2. Identify a recent paper on fertilization and describe its key findings. Copy and paste the reference from a search of Pubmed and write a few lines about the paper.
The effectiveness of Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) depends on many factors. Implantation failure has been identified as the main cause of failure. Thus the purpose of this paper was to compare the effectiveness of two IVF techniques; IMSI (intracytoplasmic morphologically selected sperm injection) and ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection) in couples that have already experienced repeated implantation failures. The results indicated that while IMSI did not significantly improve the clinical outcome compared to ICSI, it decreased rates of miscarriage (≈50% reduced). However more research into these techniques is needed to draw out much more concrete and reliable evidence.
Reference: Oliveira, J., Cavagna, M., Petersen, C., Mauri, A., Massaro, F., Baruffi, R., & Franco, J Jr. (2011). Pregnancy outcomes in women with repeated implantation failures after intracytoplasmic morphologically selected sperm injection (IMSI). Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, 9:99. doi:10.1186/1477-7827-9-99
3. Identify 2 congenital anomalies. Just name them.
Hypospadias Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome)
--Mark Hill 10:00, 3 August 2011 (EST) These are good answers to Lab 1 assessment.
--Warnakulasooriya Fernando 12:58, 4 August 2011 (EST) nce