Difference between revisions of "User:Z3290618"
|Line 28:||Line 28:|
Revision as of 09:48, 18 August 2011
Lab 4 Online Assessment
- The allantois, identified in the placental cord, is continuous with what anatomical structure?
- Identify the 3 vascular shunts, and their location, in the embryonic circulation.
- Identify the Group project sub-section that you will be researching. (Add to project page and your individual assessment page)
Identify the origin of In Vitro Fertilization and the 2010 nobel prize winner associated with this technique.
- In 1973 the Monash University team achieved In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF). However, it only lasted a few days. On 25 July 1978, the first IVF baby was born in the UK.
Robert Edwards was awarded the 2010 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine "for the development of in vitro fertilization"
Identify a recent paper on fertilisation and describe its key findings.
- Hansen et al. (2002). The Risk of Major Birth Defects after Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection and in Vitro Fertilization. The New England Journal of Medicine" 342:725-730
- In a comparison of IVF conceived, intracytoplasmic sperm injection and naturally conceived children, the rate of major birth defects was seen to be double in assisted conception. At one year of age, the ratio of birth defects in the IVF and intracytoplasmic sperm injected children was 2.0. This figure was derived after adjustment for maternal age, sex of infant etc. Before adjustment the figure was higher (9:4.2).
Identify 2 congenital anomalies.
- Spina bifida
--Mark Hill 09:54, 3 August 2011 (EST) You need to answer these 3 questions before Lab 2.
What is the maternal dietary requirement for late neural development?
- Iodine: 400-600mg through course of pregnancy. A deficiency can cause cretinism and hypothyroidism.
--Z3290618 12:55, 28 July 2011 (EST)
--z3290618 12:38, 4 August 2011 (EST)