--z3265772 23:43, 28 July 2010 (UTC)
--z3265772 22:57, 4 August 2010 (UTC)
--z3265772 23:14, 11 August 2010 (UTC)
--z3265772 00:03, 19 August 2010 (UTC)
Lab 2 Questions
1. What factor do the synctiotrophoblast cells secrete to support the ongoing pregnancy?
Syncytiotrophoblasts secrete Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) hormone, which prevents degeneration of the corpus luteum
2. What does the corpus luteum secrete to prevent continuation of the menstrual cycle?
Progesterone, which helps make the endometrial lining ready for implantation if an egg is fertilized. Progesterone also changes the endometrium to a secretory lining (from proliferative), which creates an ideal environment for the blastocyst.
Lab 3 Questions
1. What Carnegie stages occur during week 3 and week 4?
Carnegie stages 7 (gastrulation and notochord formation) to 13 (Somite no. 21-29, caudal neuropore closes)
2. What is the change in overall embryo size form the beginning of week 3 to the end of week 4?
embryo has grown 2.6mm to 4.6mm. (week 4. 3mm to 5mm - week 3. 0.4mm)
3. Approximately when do the cranial (anterior) and caudal (posterior) neuropores close in the human embryo?
Cranial neuropore closes at carnegie stage 11, which is 23-26 days
Caudal neuropore closes at carnegie stage 12-13, which is 26-30 days
Lab 4 Questions
1. Name the vessels that drain into the sinus venosus?
2. What is the fate of the vitelline artery and vitelline vein?
3. Name the 4 layers that constitute the placental barrier?
4. What stem cells are found in abundance, and may be harvested from the placenta for therapeutic uses?
learning to use page
internal link Cell division
external link SMH
Search Bookshelf Chorionic villus sampling
Search Pubmed Now: Chorionic villus sampling