Talk:BGDA Lecture - Development of the Nervous System
5B5K.3 Iodine deficiency - Iodine deficiency disorders (IDD), caused mainly by a low dietary supply of iodine, refer to all of the consequences of iodine deficiency in a population that can be prevented by ensuring that the population has an adequate intake of iodine. Iodine deficiency is the most frequent cause of preventable brain damage in childhood.
5A00.04 Congenital hypothyroidism due to iodine deficiency - Hypothyroidism is a condition which arises at birth where the thyroid gland produces too little or no thyroid hormone and it can be induced by iodine-deficiency.
Monday 29 May 2017 09:00 AM - 10:00 AM Development of the nervous system Kensington - Rex Vowels Theatre Hill, Mark
|Cranial Neuropore||Caudal Neuropore|
|(stage 11)||(stage 12)|
- cranial (anterior) neuropore closes before caudal (posterior)
- failure to close - Neural Tube Defects (NTD), severity dependent upon level, spina bifida anancephaly (More? [neuron2.htm Neural Abnormalities])
- found that supplementation of maternal diet with folate reduces incidence of NTDs
- A randomised controlled trial conducted by the Medical Research Council of the United Kingdom demonstrated a 72% reduction in risk of recurrence by periconceptional (ie before and after conception) folic acid supplementation (4mg daily).
- Women who have one infant with a neural tube defect have a significantly increased risk of recurrence (40-50 per thousand compared with 2 per thousand for all births)