Sensory - Balance Development
Some Recent Findings
Inner Ear Labyrinth
- Cochlea - Otic vesicle - Otic placode (ectoderm)
- Semicircular canals - Otic vesicle - Otic placode (ectoderm)
- Saccule and utricle - Otic vesicle - Otic placode (ectoderm)
Cranial Nerve VIII
- Auditory component - Otic vesicle and neural crest (ectoderm)
- Vestibular component - Otic vesicle and neural crest (ectoderm)
- The inner ear is derived from a pair of surface sensory placodes (otic placodes) in the head region.
- These placodes fold inwards forming a depression, then pinch off entirely from the surface forming a fluid-filled sac or vesicle (otic vesicle, otocyst).
- The vesicle sinks into the head mesenchyme some of which closely surrounds the otocyst forming the otic capsule.
- The otocyst finally lies close to the early developing hindbrain (rhombencephalon) and the developing vestibulo-cochlear-facial ganglion complex.
Links: Inner Ear
- Development of the mouse cochlea database (MCD). Santi PA, Rapson I, Voie A. Hear Res. 2008 Sep;243(1-2):11-7. Epub 2008 May 25. PMID:18603386 | PMC2628570
- A mathematical model of human semicircular canal geometry: a new basis for interpreting vestibular physiology. Bradshaw AP, Curthoys IS, Todd MJ, Magnussen JS, Taubman DS, Aw ST, Halmagyi GM. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2010 Jun;11(2):145-59. Epub 2009 Dec 1. PMID: 19949828
May 2010 "Inner Ear Development" All (4027) Review (452) Free Full Text (750)
- Neuroscience Neuroscience - The Inner Ear
- Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols | Term Link
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2021, May 17) Embryology Sensory - Balance Development. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Sensory_-_Balance_Development
- © Dr Mark Hill 2021, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G