Quicktime Development Animation - Renal
Early Renal Development
This animation shows the process of early renal development of the kidney nephron, convoluted tubule and collecting duct.
- disorganised mesenchymal cells become a highly organised epithelial tubule
- Condensation - groups of about 100 cells condense tightly together to form a distinct mass
- Epithelialisation - condensed cells lose their mesenchymal character and gain epithelial
- At end of this period formed a small epithelial cyst complete with a basement membrane, cell-cell junctions and a defined cellular apico-basal polarity.
- cyst invaginates twice to form a comma
- then a S-shaped body one invagination site later becomes the glomerular cleft
- At about this time blood vessel progenitors invade cleft to begin construction of vascular component of glomerulus
- Tubule maturation specialised transporting segments of nephron differentiate complex of convoluted tubules is created