Mouse embryo, Theiler stage 21.
Theiler Stage 21
Anterior footplate indented, marked pinna
- The distal borders of the anterior and posterior footplates are now indented and the digit widths and locations can be discerned.
- The 'elbow' and 'wrist' are now identifiable.
- The pinna rapidly develops and forms a crest at right angles to the head.
- Five rows of vibrissae are visible as well as a prominant hair follicle over the eye and another over the ear.
- The lens vesicle has lost its lumen.
- The physiological umbilical hernia is prominent. Absent: hair follicles, distally separate fingers.
- Embryonic age = 13 dpc (range 12.5-14)
- 52-55 somite pairs
- Equivalent Witschi Stage in rat = 29-30
- Equivalent Carnegie Stage in humans = 18-19
- Links: MP4 version | Quicktime version 1.4MB | Quicktime version 5.3MB | Movies | Computed Tomography | Mouse Development
<pubmed>19545439</pubmed>| PMC2717911 | BMC Physiol.
© 2009 Metscher; licensee BioMed Central Ltd.
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.