Hearing - Neural Pathway
This diagram gives an overview of the central neural pathway from the cochlea through the brainstem nuclei to the auditory cortex. Note that this neural pathway can be analysed postnatally by Automated Auditory Brainstem Response.
- auditory nerve (cochlear nerve, acoustic nerve) part of the vestibulocochlear nerve (8th cranial nerve, CN VIII)
- cochlear nuclei (dorsal cochlear nucleus, ventral cochlear nucleus)
- superior olivary complex (SOC, superior olive)
- lateral lemniscus
- inferior colliculus
- medial geniculate nucleus
- auditory cortex
Some Recent Findings
|More recent papers|
This table allows an automated computer search of the external PubMed database using the listed "Search term" text link.
Search term: Hearing Neural Pathway Development
<pubmed limit=5>Hearing Neural Pathway Development</pubmed>
|Adult cochlea nerve glia cartoon|
- forms beside otocyst
- from wall of otocyst and neural crest cells
- bipolar neurons
- outer end of internal acoustic meatus
- innervate hair cells in membranous labyrinth
- axons project to brain stem and synapse in vestibular nucleus
- cell bodies lie in modiolus
- central pillar of cochlear
- innervate hair cells of spiral organ
- axons project to cochlear nucleus
|Cochlea glial lineage ||Adult cochlea nerve glia cartoon|
Auditory Sound Localization Circuits in the Mammalian Brainstem
Schematic drawing of primary auditory sound localization circuits in the mammalian brainstem. For clarity, only the LSO or MSO are shown on each side.
Except for the auditory nerve, excitatory connections are shown in green and inhibitory connections are shown in red.
- AN - auditory nerve
- CN - cochlear nucleus
- HF - high frequency
- LF - low frequency
- <pubmed>24498246</pubmed>| PLoS One.
Search Pubmed: Hearing Neural Pathway
- Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols | Term Link
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2021, October 26) Embryology Hearing - Neural Pathway. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Hearing_-_Neural_Pathway
- © Dr Mark Hill 2021, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G