File:Stage 22 image 217.jpg
Original file (1,200 × 820 pixels, file size: 323 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Human Embryo Developing Cortex
- Human embryo, Week 8, Carnegie stage 22.
- Section from the neural tube at the level of the developing cortex.
- Inset (upper right) shows section overview and approximate level of section (red line).
- Developing cerebrum layer thicknesses are shown in microns.
The thin layer outer called cortical plate will eventually form the adult brain cortex. The other underlying layers are part of the development process and will continue to supply cells to the cortex through fetal period, these layers will eventually be almost completely lost.
The ventricle is the CSF fluid-filled space within the brain. The inset image shows lying within the ventricles, part of the choroid plexus that forms and secretes the CSF.
Outside the developing cortex the brain meninges can also be seen.
- Links: Image - cortex overview | Image - cortex layers | Image - high resolution version | Cerebrum Development
Note this section image is vertically flipped compared with original serial section images.
|Selected Embryo Histology - Week 8 (Stage 22)|
|Links: Carnegie stage 22 | Week 8|
- Carnegie Stages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | About Stages | Timeline
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2021, June 24) Embryology Stage 22 image 217.jpg. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/File:Stage_22_image_217.jpg
- © Dr Mark Hill 2021, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||01:09, 23 August 2011||1,200 × 820 (323 KB)||S8600021||==Human Embryo Developing Cortex== * Week 8, Carnegie stage 22 * Note this section image is vertically flipped compared with serial original serial images. :Links: Neural System Development Cortex-with-section-insert-4.jpg (scan 35815 cropped and sc|