Original file (612 × 1,000 pixels, file size: 57 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Human Embryo Carnegie stage 11
This scanning EM of the stage 11 human embryo is the same image as Stage11 sem5 with the addition of direction of view including (common) terms.
- ventral and anterior both mean toward the front of the body.
- dorsal and posterior mean the back of the body.
- rostral, cranial, and cephalic and superior all mean toward the head or the upper part of a structure
- proximal means closer to the body
- distal is away from the body
- medial describes a structure toward the midline of the body
- lateral describes a structure away from the midline of the body
- coronal or frontal plane - divides the body into ventral and dorsal
- sagittal - divides the body into left and right
- midsagittal or median sagittal - is the plane exactly in the midline
- transverse or horizontal plane - divides the body into rostral and caudal
About this Embryo
Carnegie stage 11 24 days, 13 somite pairs
Facts: Week 4, 23 - 26 days, 2.5 - 4.5 mm, Somite Number 13 - 20
View: This is a scanning EM of the embryo dorsal view showing the neural tube closing with open neuropores and the paired somites visible through the thin ectoderm.
Features: surface ectoderm, neural tube, cranial (anterior) neuropore, caudal (posterior) neuropore, somites, heart, cut edge of amnion
Original file name: Stage11day24somite13-dorsal-sem5-1000px.jpg
- Stage 11 SEM Images: dorsolateral whole embryo | dorsal embryo | lateral embryo | lateral head | lateral head with overlay | embryo cross-section | ventrolateral head | ventrolateral head with overlay | ventral head | buccopharyngeal membrane | neural crest | posterior neuropore | anterior neuropore | Carnegie stage 11
Image Source: Scanning electron micrographs of the Carnegie stages of the early human embryos are reproduced with the permission of Prof Kathy Sulik, from embryos collected by Dr. Vekemans and Tania Attié-Bitach. Images are for educational purposes only and cannot be reproduced electronically or in writing without permission.
- Carnegie Stages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | About Stages | Timeline
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2021, April 18) Embryology Stage11 sem6.jpg. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/File:Stage11_sem6.jpg
- © Dr Mark Hill 2021, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||14:13, 5 May 2011||612 × 1,000 (57 KB)||S8600021|
|13:49, 5 May 2011||612 × 1,000 (57 KB)||S8600021||==Human Embryo Carnegie stage 11== This scanning EM of the stage 11 human embryo is the same image as Stage11 sem5 with the addition of Carnegie stage 11 24 days, 13 somite pairs Facts: Week 4, 23 - 26 days, 2.5 - 4.5 mm, So|