File:Fetal head section 01.jpg
Original file (1,200 × 821 pixels, file size: 186 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Human Fetal Head Week 12
Selected medial head (12 weeks) view showing key features of head musculoskeletal and neurological development. Note extensive nasal cartilage, nasal conchae, pituitary, secondary palate, oral cavity, tongue, mandible, hyoid, choana, oropharynx. Also note the developing tongue musculature and its mandibular attachment site.
This mid-line section through the fetal head shows features of the developing skull and the brain, face and mouth.
- developing brain and brainstem.
- lamina terminalis (site of anterior neuropore closure).
- fourth ventricle.
- developing pituitary sitting in the sella turcica.
- cartilage - septum of the nose.
- bone - ossifying nasal concha.
- bone - palate roof of mouth.
- cartilage - soft palate back of mouth.
- cartilage - base of skull and vertebra.
- muscle - tongue, attached to mandible, note foramen cecum.
- bone - mandible.
- Links: Image - Head histology | Image - Head medial cartilage/bone | Image - Head lateral cartilage/bone | Head Development | Gastrointestinal Tract Development | Skull Development | Bone Development
Source: Prof Virginia Diewert Original File Name: 12weekhead.jpg
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2020, October 23) Embryology Fetal head section 01.jpg. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/File:Fetal_head_section_01.jpg
- © Dr Mark Hill 2020, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||14:07, 18 March 2012||1,200 × 821 (186 KB)||Z8600021|
|13:23, 18 March 2012||1,200 × 821 (185 KB)||Z8600021|
|13:17, 18 March 2012||965 × 660 (120 KB)||Z8600021|
|12:11, 18 March 2012||965 × 660 (118 KB)||Z8600021||==Human Fetal Head Week 12== Selected medial head (12 weeks) view showing key features of head musculoskeletal and neurological development. Note extensive nasal cartilage, nasal conchae, pituitary, secondary palate, oral cavity, tongue, mandible, hyoid,|