File:Bacteria - gram-stained vaginal smear 01.jpg
Original file (1,000 × 749 pixels, file size: 185 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Gram-Stained Vaginal Smear
Gram-stained vaginal smear showing mainly Lactobacillus crispatus cell types.
- plump quite homogeneous lactobacilli
- grade I microflora (suggested new grade 1a)
- microscopic image (100×)
- Smear Image Links: L. crispatus | L. crispatus | non-L. crispatus with thin lactobacilli | non-L. crispatus with thin lactobacilli | mixture non-L. crispatus with L. crispatus | mixture non-L. crispatus with L. crispatus | irregular-shaped Gram positive rod | irregular-shaped Gram positive rod | mixture Lactobacillus and bacterial vaginosis-associated | mixture Lactobacillus and bacterial vaginosis-associated | bacterial vaginosis | bacterial vaginosis
- Links: Menstrual Cycle - Histology | Histology - Gram Stain | Bacterial Vaginosis | CDC (USA) Fact Sheet - Bacterial Vaginosis
- Grade I - when only Lactobacillus cell types (large Gram positive rods) were present.
- Grade II - (intermediate) when both Lactobacillus and Gardnerella or Bacteroides-Prevotella cell types were present.
- Grade III - (bacterial vaginosis) when Lactobacillus cell types were absent and only Gardnerella, Bacteroides-Prevotella or Mobiluncus cell types were present.
- Grade IV - when Gram positive cocci were predominantly present.
© 2005 Verhelst et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Original file name: Figure 1. (Panel A from full figure, size and contrast adjusted)
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2021, September 27) Embryology Bacteria - gram-stained vaginal smear 01.jpg. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/File:Bacteria_-_gram-stained_vaginal_smear_01.jpg
- © Dr Mark Hill 2021, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||10:25, 19 November 2011||1,000 × 749 (185 KB)||S8600021||==Gram-Stained Vaginal Smear== Gram-stained vaginal smears illustrating the different categories of vaginal microflora described:. a, b: grade Ia, i.e. mainly Lactobacillus crispatus cell types, plump quite homogeneous lactobacilli. c, d: grade Ib, i.e.|