File:Auditory neural pathway.jpg
Auditory Neural Pathway
This diagram gives an overview of the central neural pathway from the cochlea through the brainstem nuclei to the auditory cortex.
- auditory nerve (cochlear nerve, acoustic nerve) part of the vestibulocochlear nerve (8th cranial nerve, CN VIII)
- cochlear nuclei (dorsal cochlear nucleus, ventral cochlear nucleus)
- superior olivary complex (SOC, superior olive)
- lateral lemniscus
- inferior colliculus
- medial geniculate nucleus
- auditory cortex
- ventral cochlear nucleus - (accessory cochlear nucleus) divided into the posteroventral cochlear nucleus (PVCN) and the anteroventral cochlear nucleus (AVCN). Located on ventral aspect of the inferior peduncle.
superior olivary complex
- lateral superior olive (LSO) - thought to be measure the sound intensity difference between the ears.
- medial superior olive (MSO) - thought to measure the interaural time difference (ITD), the time difference of arrival of sounds between the ears.
- Links: Neural System Development | Neural - Rhombencephalon Development | Hearing - Inner Ear Development | Sensory - Hearing and Balance Development
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2019, November 17) Embryology Auditory neural pathway.jpg. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/File:Auditory_neural_pathway.jpg
- © Dr Mark Hill 2019, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||12:52, 10 September 2010||450 × 457 (46 KB)||S8600021||==Auditory Neural Pathway== This diagram gives an overview of the central neural pathway from the cochlea to the auditory cortex. Category:Hearing Category:Neural|
- You cannot overwrite this file.