Embryology History - Santiago Ramón y Cajal
Santiago Ramon y Cahal (1852 - 1934) and Camillo Golgi (1843 - 1926) jointly received the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1906 "in recognition of their work on the structure of the nervous system."
- Links: 1899 Human Sensory Cortex 1904 - A Brief History of Science | Retina | History - Early 20th Century | Category:Cajal
From the 1990 Science book review.
- "The neuroanatomist Santiago Ramon y Cahal might be considered something of a pioneer in the autobiographical genre, his straightforwardly titled Recuerdos de Mi Vida having appeared, in two volumes, in 1901 and 1907. The work was translated into English in 1937 and published as volume 8 of the Memoirs of the American Philosophical Society, itself now a long-standing sponsor of such works."
Santiago Ramon y Cahal in laboratory portrait.
- <pubmed>17735292</pubmed>| Book Review
(CB) Ramon y Cajal originally identified these small (20-25 nm) nuclear membraneless organelles in cells, they have various suggested functions and are localized to the nucleolar periphery or within the nucleoli. They contain both newly assembled small nuclear ribonucleoproteins (snRNPs, for pre-mRNA splicing) and small nucleolar ribonucleoproteins (snoRNPs, for ribosomal RNA processing) particles.
Search Pubmed: Ramon y Cahal
External Links Notice - The dynamic nature of the internet may mean that some of these listed links may no longer function. If the link no longer works search the web with the link text or name. Links to any external commercial sites are provided for information purposes only and should never be considered an endorsement. UNSW Embryology is provided as an educational resource with no clinical information or commercial affiliation.
- Nobel Prizes Nobel Prize in Medicine 1906 | Cajal Biography
- Book Review Nerve endings: the discovery of the synapse
- Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols | Term Link
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2019, December 13) Embryology Embryology History - Santiago Ramón y Cajal. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Embryology_History_-_Santiago_Ram%C3%B3n_y_Cajal
- © Dr Mark Hill 2019, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G