||This animation shows the sequence of development of the tongue from the pharyngeal arches, each colour represents the relative contribution from each arch.
- Arch 1 - oral part of tongue (anterior 3/2).
- Arch 2 - initial contribution to surface is lost.
- Arch 3 - pharyngeal part of tongue (posterior 1/3).
- Arch 4 - epiglottis and adjacent regions.
- Links: Quicktime movie | Quicktime | Flash | Tongue Development | Science Lecture - Head Development | Lecture - Gastrointestinal Development | GIF - tongue development animation