Difference between revisions of "BGD Lecture - Face and Ear Development"
|Line 2:||Line 2:|
Revision as of 21:02, 29 April 2011
|width=346px|height=420px|controller=true|autoplay=true</qt>||The face is the anatomical feature which is truly unique to each human, though the basis of its general development is identical for all humans and similar to that seem for other species. The face has a complex origin arising from a number of head structures and sensitive to a number of teratogens during critical periods of its development. The related structures of upper lip and palate significantly contribute to the majority of face abnormalities. The second part of the lecture will cover development of hearing.
The head and neck structures are more than just the face, and are derived from pharyngeal arches 1 - 6 with the face forming from arch 1 and 2 and the frontonasal prominence. Each arch contains similar Arch components derived from endoderm, mesoderm, neural crest and ectoderm.
Because the head contains many different structures also review notes on Special Senses), Respiratory, Integumentary (Teeth), Endocrine (thyroid, parathyroid, pituitary, thymus) and Ultrasound- Cleft lip/palate.
To introduce the developmental embryology of both the face and ear, and their associated abnormalities.
- To understand the formation and contribution of the pharyngeal arches to face and neck development.
- To know the main structures derived from components of the pharyngeal arches (groove, pouch and arch connective tissue).
- To know the 3 major parts (external, middle and inner) of hearing development and their embryonic origins.
- To briefly understand some abnormalities associated with face and hearing development.
BGDB: Lecture - Gastrointestinal System | Practical - Gastrointestinal System | Lecture - Face and Ear | Practical - Face and Ear | Lecture - Endocrine | Lecture - Sexual Differentiation | Practical - Sexual Differentiation | Tutorial
- Glossary: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols | Term Link
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2021, October 25) Embryology BGD Lecture - Face and Ear Development. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/BGD_Lecture_-_Face_and_Ear_Development
- © Dr Mark Hill 2021, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G