Talk:Book - Contributions to Embryology
This template below is used in all references from Contributions to Embryology and links to this page.
National Library of Australia
Washington, D.C. : Carnegie Instution of Washington, 1942 v, 245 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 30 cm. Series Carnegie Institution of Washington publication ; 541. Full contents Presomite human embryo with chorda canal and prochordal plate/ W.C. George On the fate of the medullary cords of the human ovary / Thomas R. Forbes Observation on the histology of the opossum ovary / Pedro Martinez-Esteve Embryology of eleutherodactylus nubicola / W. Gardner Lynn Origin and differentiation of the epithelium of the urinogenital sinus in the opossum / Robert K. Burns, Jr. Fate of the corpora lutea and the nature of the corpora aberrantia in the rhesus monkey / George W. Corner On the lipin and pigment in the corpus luteum of the rhesus monkey / I. Rossman Further attempts to cause ovulation by means of gonadotropes in the adult rhesus monkey / Carl G. Hartman Development of the human motor end plate / Fidel Cuajunco Development and regression of reflexes, postures, and progression in the young macaque / Marion Hines Developmental horizons in human embryos / George L. Streeter.
Bartelmez, George William, 1885-
Description [Washington] : Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1926 p. 1-67, 19 plates : ill. ; 29 cm. Series Contributions to embryology ; v. 17, no. 85 Carnegie Insntitution of Washington publication ; no. 362 Notes Extracted from Publication No. 362 of the Carnegie Institution of Washington. Bibliography: p. 63-64.
Contributions to embryology. Carnegie Institution of Washington. Washington : Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1915- Check holdings at Main Library Level 6 (574.306/1)
D. Padget The development of the cranial arteries in the human embryo Contrib Embryol, 32 (1948), pp. 205–262
Sydney University Library
DST 01357 Vol. 1, no. 1 (1915)-v. 15, no. 77 (1923) ; v. 17,no. 85 (1926)-v. 25, no. 151 (1935) ; v. 27, no. 160 (1938)v. 30, no. 197 (1942) ; v. 32, no. 207 (1948) ; v. 33, no.213-221 (1949)-v. 38, no. 263 (1966)
Dr. Chester H. Heuser
Dr. Chester H. Heuser, who retired on August 31, 1950 after twenty-nine years of continuous service, was appointed a Research Associate, Department Of Embryology Baltimore. During the summer of 1951 he spent two months at the Department of Embryology working on human embryos in preparation for his proposed descriptive catalogue of the earlier stages (i to x) which were not included in the series "Developmental Horizons in Human Embryos" begun by the late Dr. George L. Streeter.
Department Of Embryology Baltimore, Maryland George W. Corner, Director
Mall, Franklin P. (Franklin Paine), 1862-1917
Description Washington, D.C. : Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1917 168 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 30 cm. Series Contributions to embryology ; v. 6, no. 15 Carnegie Institution of Washington publication ; no. 226. Notes With: Quantitative studies on mitochondria in nerve-cells / M. DeG. Thurlow -- Development of connective-tissue fibers in tissue cultures of chick embryos / M.R. Lewis -- Origin and development of the primitive vessels of the chick and of the pig / F.R. Sabin -- A human embryo of twenty-four pairs of somites / F.P. Johnson. Includes bibliographical references.
The Carnegie Institution of Washington 1915
Founded by Andrew Carnegie
The Carnegie Institution of Washington
Founded by Andrew Carnegie
"To encourage in the broadest and most liberal manner investigation, research, and discovery, and the application of knowledge to the improvement of mankind. ' '
SCOPE AND ORGANIZATION
Fourth Issue, l"ehrii.n\ 4, 1915
PRESENT AND EORMER TRUSTEES.
Alexander Agassiz, JoHN S. Billings, Robert S. Brookings,
JoHN L. Cadwalader, Cleveland H. Dodge,
WiLLiAM E. Dodge, Charles P. Fenner.
William N. Frew,
Lyman J. Gage,
Daniel C. Gilman, JoHN Hay, Abram S. Hewitt, Henry L. Higginson,
Ethan a. Hitchcock, Henry Hitchcock, WiLLiAM Wirt Howe, Charles L. Hutchinson,
Samuel p. Langley, WiLLiAM Lindsay, Henry Cabot Lodge,
D. O. Mills, S. Weir Mitchell, Andrew J. Montague, William W. Morrow, Wm. Barclay Parsons, George W. Pepper, Henry S. Pritchett, Elihu Root, Martin A. Ryerson, Theobald Smith, John C. Spooner, William H. Taft, Charles D. Walcott, Henry P. Walcott, William H. Welch, Andrew D. White, Edward D. White, Henry White, George W. Wickersham, Robert S. Woodward,
Carroll D. Wright,
1907 1902 1907 1914 1906 1902 1908 1914 1902-07
1906 1902 1910 1906 1902 1902-03
Besides the names enumerated above, the following were ex officio members of the Board of Trustees under the original charter, from the date of organization until April 28, 1904:
The President of the United States.
The President of the Senate.
The Speaker of the House of Representatives.
The Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution.
The President of the National Academy of Sciences.
Robert S. Woodward, President.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES.
RoDERT S. Brookings. Cleveland H. Dodge. Charles P. Fenner. William N. Frew. Henry L. Higginson. Ch.arles L. Hutchinson. Henry Cabot Lodge. Seth Low.
Andrew J. Montague. William W. Morrow. Wm. Barclay Parsons. George W. Pepper.
Henry S. Pritchett. Elihu Root. Martin A. Ryerson. Theobald Smith. WiLLi.\M H. Taft. Charles D. Walcoit. Henry P. Walcott. William H. Welch. Andrew D. White. Henry White. George W. Wickersham. Robert S. Woodward.
LLlihu Roor, Chairman.
Charles D. Walcott, rice-Chairman.
Cleveland H. Dodge, Secretary.
Executive Committee: William H. Welch, C/m/m."; Cleveland H Dodge,* Wm. Barclay
Parsons, Henry S. Pritchett, Elihu Root,* Charles D. \\ALCorr,
Henry White, Robert S. WoonwAun.*
F.NANCE Committee: Cleveland H. Dodge, Chairman; Henry L. Hx.ginson, George W. Wickersham.
Auditing CoMMin, e: R. S. Brookings, Chairman; Chakm-s L. Hitchinson, (.Jeorge W. Wickersham.
McmlH-i IX oHicio (.t Kxc.iitivi- (.'..mmittcc
PLAN AND SCOPE OF THE INSTITUTION.
The Carnegie Institution of Washington was founded by Andrew Carnegie on January 28, 1902, when he gave to a board of trustees an endowment of registered bonds of the par vahie of ten milHon dollars; to this fund he added two million dollars on December 10, 1907, and ten million dollars on January 19, 191 1; so that the present endowment of the Institution has a par value of twenty-two million dollars, yielding an annual interest of five percent on this anioiiiu. Ihc Institution was originally organized under the laws t)f the District of Columbia and incorporated as the Carnegie Institution, hut was reincorporated by an act ot the Congress of the United States, aiii)ro\cd April 28, 1904, under the title of The Carnegie Institution o! Washington.
Organization under the new Articles of Incorporation was effected Mav 18, i()04, and the Institution was |ilaced under the control of a board of twenty-four trustees, all of whom had been members of the original cor|)()ration. The Trustees meet annually in December to consider the affairs of the Institution in general, the progress of work already undertaken, the initiation of new projects, and to make the necessary appropriations for the ensuing year. During the intervals between the meetings of the Trustees the affairs of the Institution are conducted by an Executive Committee chosen by and from the Board of Trustees and acting through the President of the Institution as chief executive officer. The Articles of Incorporation of the Institution declare in general "that the objects of the corporation shall be to encourage in the broadest and most liberal manner investigation, research, and discovery, and the application of knowledge to the improvement of mankind." Three principal agencies to forward these objects have been developed. The first of these involves the formation of departments of research within the Institution itself, to attack larger problems requiring the collaboration of several investigators, special c(iuipment, and (.onriiuioii^ ctlort. 1 he second provides means \\hereb\' indi\itliials may imdcrrakc and carry to comj^letion investigations not less important but re(jiiiring less collaboration and less s|)cci.il rcpiiiMm-iii . I'Ik' third agency, namely, a division dcxotcd to editing .nul printing books, aims to provide adequate publication of the results oi research coming from the first two agencies and to a limited extent also for worthy works not likely to be published under other auspices.
Board Room in Administration Building.
A View of the Rotunda, Administration Building.
Summarily, the work of the Institution may be classified under the heads of a Division of Administration, a Division of Publications, J^epartments of Research, and a Division of Research Associates. The Division of Administration consists of nine persons and is charged with the executive, financial, and correspondence duties of the Institution. The Division of Publications consists of three members permanently employed, and has charge of the work of editing and printing books. Temporary assistance in connection with illustrations, proof-reading, etc., is also employed by this division as needed. The staffs of these two divisions are given on page 9. The Institution has thus far established eleven of the larger departments of research; their designations, the names and addresses of their Directors, the investigatory staffs, and brief indications of their origin, development, and present status are given in the following pages. Many grants have been made in aid of minor projects for investigation, and many Research Associates and collaborators, connected mostly with colleges and universities, have been and are carrying on work also under the auspices of the Institution.
A condensed history of the origin, development, and growth of the Institution will be found in the President's Report contained in the Year Book for 191 1, which also gives lists of all persons who had been engaged up to that time in the work of the Institution from the time of its organization. A more comprehensive view of this history may be gained from the contents of the \ ear Books and from the other more formal publications issued b}^ the Institution. General and classified lists of these publications may be had on application, and the publications themselves may be found in nearly all of the greater libraries of the world. About three hundred volumes have been issued up to date.
The executive offices of the Institution are in its Administration Building, on the southeast corner of Sixteenth and P streets, northwest, Washington, D. C. This building is constructed of Bedford limestone, is three stories in height, and has an available floor space of about 21,000 square feet. The basement is devoted chiefly to file rooins and to rooms for the receipt, shipment, and storage of the pubhcations of the Institution, with fireproof vaults and shelving provided for such storage. The second floor is supplied with board and committee rooms for the use of the Trustees and the Executive Committee, and with an Assembly Room having a seating capacity for about two hundred persons. The third floor has twelve rooms, furnishing adequate quarters for the Division of Administration and the Division ot Publications.
DIVISION OF ADMINISTRATION. Robert S. Woodward, President.
Walter M. Gilbert, Assistant Secretary.
Clarence Reeder, President's Secretary.
John L. Wirt, Bursar.
Edmund A. Varela, Assistant Bursar. Ci.ALDK F. King, Custodian of Files. Irving M. Grey, Shipping Clerk.
Hknrikita R. Draper, Stenographer. Chari.oite S. Stevens, Clerk.
Edward B. Fristoe, Clerk.
DIVISION OF PUBLICVriONS.
William Barnlm, Editor. Florence F. Shi.es, Proof-reader. Charles J. SroDDARi), Clerk.
Department of Embryology.
Director, Franklin P. Mall.
Address, Johns Hopkins Medical School, Baltimore, Maryland.
1915 Present Investigatory Staff.
Franz Keibel. G. L. Streeter.
H. M. Evans. M. Reicher.
A grant in aid of embryological research was made in the spring of 1913 to Professor Franklin P. Mall, who took immediate steps to organize a laboratory of sufficient magnitude to carry on selected problems of broad scope, particularly such as are beyond the reach of a single individual. During 191 3 and 1914 he associated with him for this work the staff named above.
On December 11, 1914, the estabhshment of a Department of Embryology was authorized by the Board of Trustees and Professor Mall was appointed Director. Researches at present are being carried on in a suite of rooms in the Anatomical Laboratory of the Johns Hopkins University and its facilities thus available are unusually advantageous tor embryological investigation. Competent support has been secured from scientific assistants, sjieciallv trained technicians, artists, and modelers.
During the past year Dr. Mall has transferred to the Institution his embryological collection, the result of his unceasing efforts during the past tw enty-seven years. It consists of over 1,000 human specimens, many of which have been prepared in permanent serial sections. fhe collection is already unicjue in both magnitude and imj)ortance, but a vigorous effort is being made to still further increase it. It is now safely housed in fire-proof rooms, together with the original data, drawings, photographs, and clinical records, which are second in importance only to the specimens themselves. Convenient classified lists and a card catalogue have been prepared to render all of the material easily axailable.
Under general embryology, work is jirogressing to establish a norm tor the external form of embrxos under 25 millimeters long, t(jgether with a dixisioii ol this period into stages, ami phvsicoanthropologic measuremeius arc being ni.ule to extend this work to older fetuses. This will add greater |)recision to the determination of the age of embryos and will help explain anatomical wiriations and tlie characteristics in racial anatomy. Considerable attention is being directed to the pathological asj)ects of embryology and their bearing on fertilization, duration of pregnancy, and the causes of abortion and sterility. A study of the fate of the ovum in tubal pregnancy is now in press.
The structural anatomy of the embryo at different stages is being studied. Models and drawings have been finished of embryos between 2 and 4 millimeters. A study of the development of the muscles of the head region is nearly completed. A monograph on the structure of the medulla oblongata has been published. A study of the development of the abdominal veins is practically ready for publication, making an important link in the series of investigations on the formation of the vascular systems which have been under way for the past three years. A volumetric study of the embryo brain is nearing completion and also a study concerning the drainage of the developing membranous labyrinth. Among the cytological studies mention should be made of the papers recently published regarding the behavior of somatic cells toward vital stains.