Talk:2010 Lecture 1
|File:Embryo stages 002 icon.jpg</wikiflv>||This animation shows the growth of the human embryo during the first 8 weeks following fertilization.|
The data below are highlights from the AIHW National Perinatal Statistics Unit recent annual publication: "Australia's mothers and babies 2005"
- 267,793 women gave birth to 272,419 babies, 15,214 more births (5.9%) than reported in Australia for 2004.
- 29.8 years was the mean maternal age, continuing an upward trend. (More? Australian Statistics | Australian Maternal Statistics)
- 9,867 were of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander origin, making up 3.7% of all mothers.
- 17.4% reported smoking at all during pregnancy. (More? Smoking)
- 58.5% had a spontaneous vaginal birth (0.4% vaginal breech birth, 3.5% forceps and 7.2% vacuum extractions). (More? Birth Overview)
- 30.3% gave birth by caesarean section (19.5% in 1996) (More? Caesarean Delivery)
- 83.2% had previously had a caesarean section
- 1.7% had a multiple pregnancy (More? Twinning)
- 3.0 days median length of stay in hospital (caesarean section 5.0 days)
- 8.1% were preterm (less than 37 weeks gestation) (More? [../Child/birthpremature.htm Premature Birth] | [../Child/birthweight.htm Low Birth Weight])
- 6.4% of liveborn babies were of low birthweight (less than 2,500 grams) (More? [../Child/birthweight.htm Low Birth Weight] | [../Defect/page10.htm Fetal Origins Hypothesis])
- 105.5 male / 100 female live births
- 15.5% of liveborn babies admitted to a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit.
- 6,044 were admitted to level III neonatal intensive care units in Australia and met ANZNN‚Äôs high risk criteria, of which 78.0% were preterm.
- 7.3 /1,000 births fetal death rate (More? [../Child/birth7.htm Stillbirth and Perinatal Death])
- 3.2 /1,000 neonatal death rate / live births
- 10.5 /1,000 perinatal death rate / births
Assisted Reproduction Technology
Assisted Reproduction Technology (ART) may include more techniques than, but is sometimes also used to identify, In vitro Fertilization (IVF) (More? [../Notes/week1_5b.htm In Vitro Fertilization]).
- 51,017 treatment cycles reported to ANZARD in Australia and New Zealand in 2005.
- 91.1% were from Australian fertility and 8.9% from New Zealand centres (an increase of 13.7% of ART treatment cycles from 2004).
- 35.5 years average age of women (35.2 years in 2002).
- Women aged older than 40 years has increased from 14.3% in 2002 to 15.3% in 2005.
Single Embryo Transfers (SET)
- Significant increase in the number of SET embryos transfer cycles: 2002 28.4%; 2005 48.3%
- increase of SET cycles resulted more singleton deliveries (singleton deliveries 2005 was 85.9%)
- Single-embryo transfer babies had better outcomes compared to babies born to women who had a double-embryo transfer (DET).
- Singletons babies 96.1% SET, 61.6% DET
- Preterm babies, 11.7% SET, 30.6% DET
- Low birthweight liveborn babies, 8.0% SET, 25.0% DET
(Reference: AIHW National Perinatal Statistics Unit Assisted Reproduction Technology in Australia and New Zealand 2005)