File:Respiratory histology 13.jpg
Nasal Cavity Olfactory Region Histology
Olfactory epithelium cells
- Olfactory cells
- Sustentacular cells - located mainly in the superficial cell layer of the epithelium (difficult to distinguish from olfactory cells).
- Basal cells - identified by their location in the epithelium.
- Cilia are not visible
- goblet cells are absent from the olfactory epithelium.
- olfactory axon bundles (lightly stained, rounded areas) connected to olfactory cells.
- Bowman's glands - (small mucous glands, olfactory glands) function to moisturise the epithelium.
- Nasal Olfactory Histology: overview image | detail image | Smell Development | Histology | Histology Stains
- Respiratory Histology: Bronchiole | Alveolar Duct | Alveoli | EM Alveoli septum | Alveoli Elastin | Trachea 1 | Trachea 2 | labeled lung | unlabeled lung | Respiratory Bronchiole | Lung Reticular Fibres | Nasal Inferior Concha | Nasal Respiratory Epithelium | Olfactory Region overview | Olfactory Region Epithelium | Histology Stains
Links: Histology | Histology Stains | Blue Histology images copyright Lutz Slomianka 1998-2009. The literary and artistic works on the original Blue Histology website may be reproduced, adapted, published and distributed for non-commercial purposes. See also the page Histology Stains.
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2019, June 18) Embryology Respiratory histology 13.jpg. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/File:Respiratory_histology_13.jpg
- © Dr Mark Hill 2019, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||23:03, 28 February 2012||450 × 600 (102 KB)||Z8600021|
- You cannot overwrite this file.