File:Rat kidney HIM 01.jpg
Adult Rat Kidney HIM Images
A new technique called Helium Ion Microscopy (HIM) gives similar high resolution 3D images, using a scanning beam of He+ ions, and fixed tissue without the coating required for SEM.
- A - shows a whole glomerulus and neighboring tubules in the renal cortex. Branching processes of the podocytes surrounding the glomerular capillaries can be seen enveloping the capillaries.
- B - interior of a Bowman's capsule showing long single cilia projecting from each flat parietal epithelial cells. To see these cilia the glomerular capillaries (seen in A) were removed during the cutting process used to prepare the tissue.
- C - complex interdigitations of the podocyte foot processes.
- D - numerous filamentous nano-protrusions originating from the major and minor processes and projecting into the urinary space.
Note details for scale bar were not included in original article.
- HIM Image Links: Kidney Glomerulus | Collecting Tubule - Principal and Intercalated Cell | Principal Cell - cilium and microvilli | Principal Cell - cilium and microvilli | Renal System Development | Rat Development | Scanning Electron Microscopy
© 2013 Rice et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Journal.pone.0057051.g001 Original figure 1 image adjusted in size and labelling.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||13:51, 14 May 2014||1,382 × 1,313 (591 KB)||Z8600021||==Adult Rat Kidney HIM Images== A new technique called Helium Ion Microscopy (HIM) gives similar high resolution 3D images, using a scanning beam of He<sup>+</sup> ions, and fixed tissue without the coating required for SEM. ===Reference=== <pubmed>...|
- You cannot overwrite this file.