File:Meckel's diverticulum 02.jpg
Meckel's diverticulum is the remain of the prenatal yolk stalk (Vitellointestinal duct). The yolk sac of the developing embryo is connected to the primitive gut by the yolk stalk or vitelline (i.e. omphalomesenteric) duct. This structure normally regresses between the fifth and seventh weeks of fetal life. If this process of regression fails, various anomalies can occur.
The spectrum of defects includes a Meckel diverticulum, a fibrous cord attaching the distal ileum to the abdominal wall, an umbilical-intestinal fistula, a mucosa-lined cyst, or an umbilical sinus. Of these, Meckel's diverticulum is the most common congenital anomaly of the gastrointestinal tract in humans occurring in approximately 2% of the population with equal incidence in males and females.
(Above text from original article)
- Abnormality Links: Gastrointestinal Tract - Abnormalities | Intestine Development | Gastrointestinal Tract
- Lumen Abnormalities: Image - Duplication sites | Pyloric atresia | Jejunal atresia
- Rotation: Image - Midgut volvulus | Image - Intestinal malrotation | Image - Cecal volvulus | Image - Sigmoid volvulus | Ladd's band
- Meckel's Diverticulum: Meckel's Image 1 | Meckel's Image 2 | Meckel's Image 3 |
- Intestinal Aganglionosis: Image - Ostomy | Image - Stoma | Surgery 1 | Surgery 2 | Surgery 3
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2016) Embryology Meckel's diverticulum 02.jpg. Retrieved July 24, 2016, from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/File:Meckel%27s_diverticulum_02.jpg
- © Dr Mark Hill 2016, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Raj Kumar Sharma, Vir Kumar Jain Emergency surgery for Meckel's diverticulum. World J Emerg Surg: 2008, 3;27 PubMed 18700974
© 2008 Sharma and Jain; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Original file name: 1749-7922-3-27-1.jpg http://www.wjes.org/content/3/1/27/figure/F1
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||18:22, 29 April 2011||600 × 542 (58 KB)||MarkHill||==Meckel's Diverticulum== Meckel's diverticulum is the remain of the prenatal yolkstalk (Vitellointestinal duct). The yolk sac of the developing embryo is connected to the primitive gut by the yolk stalk or vitelline (i.e. omphalomesenteric) duct. This s|
- You cannot overwrite this file.