Alveolar Type I cell - (squamous alveolar) cells form the structure of an alveolar wall.
Alveolar Type II cell - (great alveolar) cells secrete pulmonary surfactant.
- surfactant is continuously released by exocytosis
- lowers the surface tension of water and allows the membrane to separate
- increases the capability to exchange gases.
Macrophages - destroy foreign material and debris.
- Respiratory Histology: Bronchiole | Alveolar Duct | Alveoli | EM Alveoli septum | Alveoli Elastin | Trachea 1 | Trachea 2 | labeled lung | unlabeled lung | Respiratory Bronchiole | Lung Reticular Fibres | Nasal Inferior Concha | Nasal Respiratory Epithelium | Olfactory Region overview | Olfactory Region Epithelium | Histology Stains
Image Source: modified from figure equation11.png also modified from (Hawgood & Clements 1990). http://herkules.oulu.fi/isbn9514270584/html/c273.html
Cite this page: Hill, M.A. (2019, June 16) Embryology Alveolar-sac-01.jpg. Retrieved from https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/File:Alveolar-sac-01.jpg
- © Dr Mark Hill 2019, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||08:40, 25 August 2010||720 × 478 (73 KB)||S8600021||==Alveolar Sac== Source: modified from figure equation11.png also modified from (Hawgood & Clements 1990). http://herkules.oulu.fi/isbn9514270584/html/c273.html Category:Respiratory Category:Cartoon|
- You cannot overwrite this file.